Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sauce is Boss, Marinade is Toss



Tonight's Recipe: London Broil with Herb Marinade

Since this is the real world, sometimes things don't work out like I plan. I usually make a flank steak with the herb sauce below. I was *trying* to be budget conscious and purchase a top round London broil instead. I can't really remember the pricing off hand, but if I had to guess, I think flank steak runs around $10.99 +/- a pound. Central Market had the top round for $6.99 a pound. I was disappointed. Even with the overnight marinade, the meat was just kind of, eh. Flavorful, yes, but kind of tough and just.... So unless you burn for top round or are bound to your budget, get the flank steak, skip the marinade, rub with olive oil, and season with kosher salt and pepper. Then continue as below.

I went wrong in a couple of ways tonight. In retrospect, the presentation would have been much nicer on a bed of couscous instead of next to the also very green looking salad. And, perhaps a less busy plate. I've had these plates for 7 years now. Unfortunately, I'm tired of them. Luckily, I have a couple of sets of plates so I can rotate, but I wonder, will I ever love them again? Or should I bribe a toddler to start breaking them? Actually, my aunt once told me she saw a demonstration of these plates at The Great Indoors where they were letting you chunk plates at the wall. She had four boys, and bought them on spot.

London Broil with Herb Marinade

3 large basil leaves, chopped

4 twigs fresh thyme

2 sprigs fresh mint, stems removed, chopped

2 handfuls fresh parsley leaves, chopped

juice of 2 small lemons

1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

3/4 c. olive oil

4 tbsp sherry vinegar

2 tbsp Dijon mustard

2 tbsp Worcestershire

3 large pinches kosher salt

1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

1.5 lb top round London broil



Combine ingredients in a bowl, add meat to a Ziploc and pour marinade over. Marinate meat in a Ziploc overnight.

Preheat a grill pan on high heat. Put meat on grill, turning after 5 minutes, then turning again to ensure a criss cross grill mark pattern. When meat reaches an internal temp of 135, pull from grill pan to a cutting board. Let rest for at least 10 minutes for proper redistribution of juices, then cut against the grain into thin slices.



Herb Sauce
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 tsp salt

1/2 a bunch flat leaf parsley, stems trimmed, finely chopped

7 sprigs of fresh mint, leaves removed, chopped

3 tbsps. capers

15-20 pitted Nicoise or Kalamata olives, chopped

olive oil

In a small bowl, combine garlic and salt. Mash with a fork to make a paste. Add parsley, mint, capers and olives. Cover with olive oil and stir. Let stand at least 30 minutes for flavors to combine. Serve on top round or flank steak.


Perhaps you're wondering what my deal is with fresh herbs. Well, I come from a family of gardeners. I had a lovely herb and flower garden at one point, but when we sold that house,
there was no way to transplant my beds. I've never replanted yet. The garden was born in a time of great pain for me and I've never been able to get back to wanting to do it again. I think my family might be concerned that I'm incomplete without growing something, so for Christmas, my sister gave me this. It's a fascinating little machine, and provides fresh herbs for me with practically no effort. I'm not sure there's actually a cost savings if it weren't a gift, but there's the convenience and the whole idea that you grew it yourself. So anyway, I'm using my herbs, but limited a tiny bit by what I have growing at the time. This week I'll need to harvest my dill, so get ready for a Chicken Avgolemono. Aeroponic technology is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment