Monday, March 30, 2009

Corned Beef Sandwiches


I've always wanted to make a fresh corned beef, but I've never seen one and didn't really know the process involved in the "corning". Lo in behold, at the almighty Costco, I found a fresh one a few weeks before St. Patrick's Day. I have no idea if I'll see one of these again, and if I do, it likely won't be until next March. After an inspection of the packaging, and a few googles, it seems you can corn your own brisket via a brine and pickling spice mixture. I may try that out as well.


The flavor was wonderful and the process extremely easy. Only exception being that I totally cut mine wrong. I *know* what cutting against the grain means, but somehow, my brain turned to a mush-like jelly substance and I just did it wrong. Oh well. So, I decided to settle for chopped corned beef sandwiches instead of my original idea.


Did you know sauerkraut used to be taken on sea voyages to prevent scurvy? Me neither. The brine keeps the Vitamin C from being oxidized during storage. It has multiple cancer-fighting compounds and other nutrients as well as being low calorie, albeit high-sodium. But variety's the key, right?


The beer's for tenderizing and flavor. If you can't get Shiner Bock, you should move. But preventing that, just use any kind of dark beer you want.


Fresh Corned Beef


Water


Shiner Bock Beer


Place corned beef plus accumulated juices in a stock pot, cover with water and add 1 Shiner Bock beer. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3.5 -4 hours.


Slice Against the grain and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment