Friday, April 3, 2009

Banana Bread


This recipe comes from my Great Aunt Marguerite, who I am embarrassed to say I can't actually remember who she's related to. I know she's on my mother's side, but past that I can't remember. (Sorry Mom!) The sour cream is allegedly the key, though I've used yogurt as well and also like that. The official substitution guidelines call for adding a teaspoon of baking soda per cup of yogurt, but I don't really remember doing that. I may have to do a food science experiment on this one. I'm not sure, but I *think* you're adding extra baking soda because the yogurt contains more acid and the baking soda is what neutralizes it. I couldn't google any confirmation of the acidity levels, but I may just be using the improper terms. I'll check with Robert Shimmin and I'll do the experiment next week.


In case you're wondering who Robert Shimmin is, he's a guy I went to school with. He came to our school in the 5th grade and is far and away the smartest person anyone will ever meet. And I knew/know a lot of smart kids. As an example, when studying colligative properties in chemistry one time, I was musing if fish die when lighting strikes the ocean since the salt in the water conducts electricity. Robert knew *off the top of his head* the equation to determine the radius fish would die. The guy's crazy smart. It's awesome. I wish every one grew up with a kid like him.


This recipe is a total conundrum for me because I don't like bananas, sour cream, or walnuts, yet I kind of like this bread. It's strangely addictively good. And the family likes it.


1/2 c. butter

1 c. sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

2-3 mashed bananas

1.5 c. flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 c. sour cream

1/2 c. finely chopped walnuts


Cream butter and sugar together. Then add eggs and vanilla. Add other ingredients, stir just enough to blend.


Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake 1 hour in a 350 degree oven.


No comments:

Post a Comment