Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Brisket with Family Recipe Barbque Sauce


My sister, Amelia, started me making my own brisket. I just don't really remember anyone making briskets growing up in the midwest. I don't even remember hearing the word brisket until I came to college in the great state of Texas. My family has long been barbecue seekers and connoisseurs, but we tended to stick with ribs and chopped beef sandwiches and pulled pork as our staples. In retrospect, I guess that chopped beef came from brisket mixed with sauce, I just don't remember seeing it sliced. My favorite brisket for the record, is the extra moist at Rudy's. And though I like their sauce, it's not my favorite, I'm not sure I've found a sauce in Texas worthy of a favorite. My godmother sometimes brings this Alabama barbecue to the beach with a super thin almost like vinaigrette consistency sauce that I love. And though it's been a long time since I've had it, I have fond memories of Show Me Barbecue sauce.

I finally made the family recipe for my husband and he loved it so much he said, "Bottle it and Sell it." When asking my mama for permission to post the family recipe here, she said, "If Cory likes it so much, why *don't* you sell it, Lane?" Well, I'm pretty sure that it would be totally cost-IN-effective to sell something made from so many already commercially produced products and not raw ingredients. And how on earth would I list my ingredients on the label to meet USDA requirements? I'm pretty sure A-1 Sauce, is not a valid "ingredient." So our family sauce is added to my list of products to re-engineer. Perhaps once I pull off a successful re-engineered version from the basics, I will sell it! But until then, I recommend this method for deliciousness.

8 lb beef brisket
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
paprika
olive oil
white onion, cut into rings
2 Fat Tire beers
1 tsp brown sugar

Season brisket with salt, pepper, and paprika. Cut into two pieces if necessary to fit in your pans. In a large, heavy bottomed pan, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Brown brisket thoroughly on all sides, raising and lowering your heat as needed, to reduce smoking and increase browning.

Cover the bottom of your crock pot with the onion rings. Place browned brisket on top, pour over two beers and sprinkle with brown sugar. Cover and cook on higher heat settings for six hours or more. If your liquid amount seems really full, cook with the lid off for last 45 minutes.

Family Barbecue Sauce

1/2 c. Worcestershire
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. A-1 Sauce
1 c. water
1 c. tomato sauce
1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp brown sugar

Add all ingredients in a sauce pan and cook on low for 20-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment